Translate

Saturday, April 27, 2013

STEM and the Big Bang Theory

Hello World!
Do you ever watch the show, The Big Bang Theory? It is about a group of friends who are scientists and engineers, both male and female. I found this neat article interviewing Mayim Bialik about her role as a scientist in Real Life and on the show. http://news.yahoo.com/big-bang-theory-star-talks-stem-154403028.html I think it is pretty cool that she is a scientist, mother, STEM advocate, actress, and basically everything she wants to be!

From Mayim Bialik's Website, photo by Denise Herick Borchet
 
She talks about the value of mentorship and the influence that friends can have. I have friends from all walks of life, but my social circle included many science types growing up, we were competitive yet supportive. We took turns making things and exploring. Once, we had a competition to see who could make a better disco ball using items around the house. My disco ball rotated and lit up but I learned the value of using non-flammable materials when it started to melt. If I were to make one now I think I'd use a computer graphics program. That is the great thing about the internet, if you don't have any science friends in your real life, you can find them on-line (use caution of course!). I started this site in hopes of providing a space to chat about science and fun stuff, but there are many others... Stay tuned to learn about them! :)
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment